Are you a Real Estate Agent at risk? Here are a few smart strategies for Realtors® to stay safe while showing a property.
A career in Real Estate is an exciting job: helping people's dreams come true while making your own hours. However, real estate agents face a frequently underestimated level of danger. Whether you've been on the job for decades or for just a few weeks, you often find yourself in unknown situations, since agents never know who's going to show up to an open house.
Easy Ways for Realtors to Stay Safe on the Job
As Realtor Mag states, “you put yourself at risk every day-- you just might not realize it.” Luckily, there’s much you can do to protect yourself. Here are a few tips that other agents are using:
- Common advice dictates that “using the buddy system” works well: you have the safety and security of knowing your colleagues have your back. Bring along a partner, a family member, or a banker with you to showings or when meeting new clients.
- If you’re showing a home by yourself, always remember to tell a colleague or loved one the time and place of the showing, and who it is with.
- If you’re a real estate broker, check out NAR's Safety Resources for Brokers.
- Safety services that rely on family and friends such as Wearsafe can be extremely helpful for agents. Sometimes agents need emergency services, and sometimes a more nuanced response is appreciated in a work environment — Wearsafe allows for both.
- Agents at William Raveis have begun to use personal safety devices such as the Wearsafe Tag (a safety system that instantly calls for help with the press of a button).
How Real Estate Agents can Benefit from New Technology
Luckily for agents, technology has advanced enough that we can keep our safety network with us at every moment. The phone in your pocket has the power to call anyone in your address book within minutes of an incident, but sometimes we don’t have minutes. We might only have seconds.
Agents at renowned agency William Raveis have already begun to use the Wearsafe service when on the road with clients. If they ever find themselves in an uncomfortable or emergency situation, they can press their Wearsafe Tag, or send an alert by tapping their Apple Watch or Android Wear smartwatch, to discreetly connect with their colleagues. Once an alert is sent, the agent’s network recieves their GPS location, live audio, and provides access to a group chat so they can quickly coordinate help.
Personal safety devices, like the Wearsafe Tag, can give you peace of mind no matter where your work takes you and doesn't allow you to waste precious time finding your phone, unlocking, dialing, and waiting for a response when faced with an emergency.
Real estate agents can enjoy greater peace of mind and a safer career, using the most advanced personal safety technology. Agents at any stage of their careers can stay out of danger, and keep their support systems by their sides. With that kind of protection, they can focus on what’s really important: selling houses and making dreams come true.